Mary Ann Thomas is the brown queer daughter of Indian immigrant parents, a travel nurse, bike tourist, and writer.
She has bicycled over 10,000 miles in the last five years. In 2014, she bicycled solo from San Diego to Montreal. In 2017, she biked across India from the Himalayas to Kerala, the state at the tip of the subcontinent where her family is from.
She co-authored Asking for Elephants, a chapbook on her journey to her homeland. Her writing has been featured in numerous platforms, including Autostraddle, She Explores, The Rumpus, and more.
In this episode, Mary Ann shares honest stories from her long-distance bike tours, going into detail about how she prepares, what makes her feel safe along the way, and how much she has relied on the kindness of strangers.
We also talk about more personal things, such as the romantically tumultuous year she's had, what it was like to break up with a partner of nine years and experience being single as an adult for the first time, and how she sets her boundaries with online sharing and storytelling when it comes to the balance of honesty and privacy.
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this conversation with Mary Ann, and I hope that do, too!
Listen to this Episode
Connect with Mary Ann
Selected Links From This Episode
Books, Resources & People Mentioned
- They Can’t Kill Us Unil They Kill Us, by Hanif Abdurraqib
- Love, Simon
- Why I Got Off the Pacific Crest Trail After 454 Miles Instead of Walking All the Way to Canada, by Vanessa Friedman
- Warm Showers
- Adventure Cycling Association
- The Path Less Pedaled
- Sick, by Porochista Khakpour
- Meeting Faith, by Faith Adiele
- Jenny Bruso
- If They Come For Us, by Fatimah Asghar
Support the podcast (+ get exclusive bonus content!)
Join the Real Talk Radio support squad over on Patreon (just $8 per 8-episode season!) and get immediate access to over 40 hours of bonus content plus other fun things.
- Bonus episodes with past guests
- Access to my popular weekly email series, Notes of Grit & Grace, where I share my real life in real time
- Monthly topic-specific discussions (money, sex, self-care, family, courage, & more!)
- Our monthly book club
- Advance pre-sale access to tickets for Real Talk: Live events and retreats
- The chance to be featured in an upcoming podcast outro
- Frequent opportunities to help shape the future of the show
So for all of that and more, simply head over to patreon.com/nicoleantoinette to make your pledge.
Thank you so much for your support!!