Jenny Bruso is a self-identified fat, femme, queer, writer and former indoor kid who, in 2012, went on an accidental hike revealing a new life trajectory of healing, self-care and adventure in the outdoors.
Through sharing her personal stories and the @UnlikelyHikers Instagram community, she wants to bust up preconceived notions of what an outdoorsperson looks like and put a spotlight on diversity, inclusion and visibility.
In this episode, Jenny tells the story of her very first hike and of how she wound up starting a community for folks who don't necessarily fit the mainstream profile of an outdoorsey person. We talk about our relationship with exercise growing up, what we get from hiking and being in nature, and the benefit of doing something you aren't immediately good at doing.
We also dig into depression, the stress and reward of running your own business, grappling with how to earn enough money to do the work you want to do, and so much more.
One of my favorite things is when someone is willing to be honest about their life in real time, even if (especially if!) they don't have all the answers. Jenny's openness in that regard was really refreshing, and I hope you love this conversation as much as I did.
Listen to this Episode
Connect with Jenny
Selected Links From This Episode
Books, Resources & People Mentioned
- NYX Lip Suede
- Melanin Base Camp
- Brown People Camping
- Carol from @sexyunicornslonghike
- The Color Purple, by Alice Walker
- Hunger, by Roxane Gay
- The Liar's Club, by Mary Karr
Support the podcast (+ get exclusive bonus content!)
Join the Real Talk Radio support squad over on Patreon (just $8+ per 8-episode season!) and get immediate access to over 40 hours of bonus content and other fun things.
- Bonus episodes with former guests
- Solo end-of-month reflection episodes from Nicole (what worked, what didn’t, personal goals, etc)
- The chance to be featured in an upcoming outro
- Our fun, casual monthly book club
- Frequent opportunities to help shape the future of the show
- Exclusive access to my popular weekly email series, Notes of Grit & Grace
- 24/7 access to the community feed for conversation with me and everyone else …. and more!
So for all of that and more, simply head over to patreon.com/nicoleantoinette to make your pledge.
Thank you so much for your support!!