Dedeker Winston was raised to be a wholesome Christian conservative, but later opted to be a sex-positive polyamory activist, relationship coach, and nude model.
She currently provides one-on-one coaching services for people transitioning into non-monogamy and is one of the hosts of the Multiamory podcast, which is my new obsession. It's such a good show!
Dedeker has been sought out as an expert for Cosmopolitan, Glamour, Newsweek, Vice, Bustle, and AskMen, and she also appeared on the FOX television show Utopia. Her book, The Smart Girl’s Guide to Polyamory: Everything You Need to Know About Open Relationships, Non-Monogamy, and Alternative Love (Skyhorse Publishing), which I also loved, is out now.
In this episode, Dedeker shares how and why she transitioned from monogamy to polyamory, and goes into all of the benefits she's felt since practicing this relationship structure. We talk about the logistical side of having multiple partners, the myths and destructive messages we've been given about sex and relationships, and who might benefit from opening up their relationship. We also dig into a conversation about the difference between friendship and romantic love, and through it all Dedeker is open, honest, compassionate, and a true advocate for us each making making the best choices for ourselves.
I've been wanting to get Dedeker on the show for a while now, and I absolutely loved chatting with her. I hope you enjoy it, too!
Listen to this Episode
Connect with Dedeker
Selected Links From This Episode
Books, Resources & People Mentioned
- The Ethical Slut, by Dossie Easton and Janet W. Hardy
- Melissa Toler (Season 14 guest)
- Melissa Fabello (Season 13 guest)
- Ev’Yan Whitney (Season 11 guest)
- What Love Is: And What It Could Be, by Carrie Jenkins
- The Erotic Mind, by Jack Morin
- The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver
- Leaves of Grass, by Walt Whitman
- The Good Book, by A.C. Grayling
Support the podcast (+ get exclusive bonus content!)
Join the Real Talk Radio support squad over on Patreon (just $8 per 8-episode season!) and get immediate access to over 40 hours of bonus content plus other fun things.
- Bonus episodes with former guests
- The chance to be featured in an upcoming outro
- Our fun, casual monthly book club
- Frequent opportunities to help shape the future of the show
- Exclusive access to my popular weekly email series, Notes of Grit & Grace
- 24/7 access to the community feed for conversation with me and everyone else …. and more!
So for all of that and more, simply head over to patreon.com/nicoleantoinette to make your pledge.
Thank you so much for your support!!