Corinne Oestreich is a professional journalist who has been writing for Powwows.com since 2014.
She is Lakota and Mohawk, and is an ambassador for the internet campaign #phenomenalwoman and #phenomenallyindigenous.
Corrine is also the founder of the non-profit organization "The Buffalo Project”, a program that seeks to reduce human trafficking and violence against women through empowering men to embrace healthy emotional behavior through Indigenous values.
In this episode, Corinne shares her personal story of reclaiming Thanksgiving, and reconciling the pain and anger that that holiday has caused her and her family. She talks about healing, about the importance of buying art and clothes directly from Native people instead of "native inspired companies," and those of us who are not Indigenous can act in allyship to Native communities.
Corinne also shares about her experience as a surrogate—what she's learned, why it feels like a spiritual calling for her, as well as her personal experience with miscarriage.
This entire conversation is honest and thoughtful, and it was such a pleasure for me to get to know Corinne. I hope you enjoy getting to know her, too!
Listen to this Episode
Connect with Corinne
Selected Links From This Episode
Books, Resources & People Mentioned
- Urban Native Era
- Jen Winston’s Instagram (where Corinne did a Story takeover)
- C.Holy Bear
- Eighth Generation Blankets
- The Sioux Chef
- Corinne’s HuffPo piece
- Indigenous People Sunrise Ceremony
- Gathering Of Nations
- Corinne’s surrogacy blog
- Modern HERstory: Stories of Women and Nonbinary People Rewriting History, by Blair Imani
- Virgin River, by Robyn Carr
Support the podcast (+ get exclusive bonus content!)
Join the Real Talk Radio support squad over on Patreon (just $8 per 8-episode season!) and get immediate access to over 40 hours of bonus content plus lots of other fun things.
- Bonus episodes with past guests
- Access to my popular weekly email series, Notes of Grit & Grace, where I share my real life in real time
- Monthly topic-specific discussions (money, sex, self-care, family, courage, & more!)
- Our monthly book club
- Advance pre-sale access to tickets for live events and retreats
- The chance to be featured in an upcoming podcast outro
- Frequent opportunities to help shape the future of the show
For all of that and more, simply head over to patreon.com/nicoleantoinette to make your pledge.
Thank you so much for your support!!